March 17, 2013





Note: A much delayed post. I apologize for the delay (sorry Ashley).

A quick peak across all the pies that we have laid down here on Bottomless Pie, and you might notice the absence of a partial popular pizza ingredient. It's a red ingredient. It's not pepperoni.

Tomatoes!

In the past, we've steered clear of red pies for Ash's sake, she has a bit of an acidic stomach, but as a pizza blog we couldn't avoid them forever, so I told Ash to breakout the tums, I'm buying a can of tomatoes!

With my can of tomatoes in tow, I took it upon myself to whip up this super simple, packed with flavor twist on a classic. 

Good things that go with tomatoes? Garlic.  And Wine. Lots of wine. So that is what I did. I took the tomatoes, squeezed out the liquid, and in a bowl mixed them with wine, salt, and about two cloves of garlic. 


Take the rolled out dough and a shmear of sauce, some thin slices of fresh mozza (less is more, I'm reluctantly learning), some thinly sliced fennel, and a driz of olive oil later, that's all she wrote...

Until it comes out of the oven, that is.  I finished the pie with a sprinkle of salted capers. And boy is that the hidden hero of this pie. The joy of biting into a salted caper in the middle of enjoying creaminess of the mozza, the herbal licorice zing of the fennel, and classic pairing of tomatoes and wine is quite other worldly. I recommend you try it some time.


Wine Margarita Pie

1 can San Marzano whole tomatoes
1 cup red wine
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1 bulb fennel
4 oz fresh mozzarella
some olive oil
1 tbsp salted capers

Take each tomato and carefully squeeze! (they will squirt!) out most of the liquid. Roughly dice the tomatoes, dice the garlic, and mix in a bowl with the wine and the salt.

Spread some sauce on the dough, top with mozzarella, thinly sliced fennel. Drizzle with olive oil.  Bake at 500+ degrees for 5-7 min. Remove from oven. Immediately top with capers and serve.

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment